Grow Diaries

Week 12: New growth looking good

  • 0 comments

Week 12:  New growth looking good

Strains in the tents:  Russian Doll, Sour Key OG, and Pineapple Express (scroll down for details by strain).

Grow method:  Indoor SCROG with LED.

LED Details:  2x California Lightworks 1100 + 2x California Lightworks 550, on our VEG B setting of 70: Red, 99 White, 99 Blue for 23 hours.

Gear we are using:  Pure Tents, California Lightworks 1100s and 550s LEDs and controller, Pure Pots (10 gallon), Promix HP, Dollar Store EZ Pods, Green House Powder Feed, BlueSky Organics Organic Reactor, Safer's End All miticide concentrate (plus water and a spray bottle), microscope, Secret Jardin Oscillating Fan.

The tents seemed to do mostly well across the board this week, and we are eager to get them into flower by the end of the week.  It is a little later than we had originally hoped, but with our pest issue early on, we had to hold off for as long as possible.  Growth has slowed down overall this week (maybe because I am getting antsy with the end of veg).  Now I have really big bushes that will need a lot of pruning once we get to the lollipopping phase (10 days into flowering).  I am eager to get going on the pruning of all 3 strains because the undersides of the bushes are growing a lot of small offshoots that are taking up a lot of energy and will never meet the net (so they will be cut down soon). 

Once we get 3 or 4 weeks into flowering I will need to have a much tighter control on humidity so we don't develop bud rot.  But for now I just want as much foliage as possible so I can ensure that my screen is 80% covered (which is basically all rows but two).  Generally if it is between overwatering or underwatering, I tend to underwater.  I have a pretty dry basement, and my plants are pretty big now and they can handle more water than before, so for the rest of veg I am going to do XL watering.  For me that means 1.5x dose of warm water mixed with nutrients and an extra watering of cold water to make sure my pots are heavy (I know this sounds weird but lift your pots, you will know if they feel watered or not).

I still have residual Organic Reactor in all of my pots which formed a bit of a shell I had to crack through and scratch to ensure water is absorbed into the soil properly (if I don't it will just overflow out the sides at the top of the pot).  This only happened because I used a lot and knew I would need to break up the top at next water.  You can use less and apply more often if you want, it comes down to your personal maintenance habits.  I will, however, continue with the Organic Reactor at every 3rd water until 10 days after flowering starts (which will also be a lot easier once my bushes are all cleaned up!).  

Strain name:  Sour Key OG
Genetics:  Amnesia Haze X (Super Lemon Haze X OG Kush)
Flowering time:  8-9 weeks
Yield:  Heavy
Level of difficulty:  Medium
Notes:  I have noticed my Sour Key OGs are slowing down the most in growth (meaning they are heavier feeders than the others or the heat is affecting them more so they need more).  When I look at the week to week pictures I see a difference but they are still not filling up the screen as much as I would like at this point.  These are split between my smallest tents so I expected them to fill up fully before switching to flower but it seems like they might just be at the 80% full mark as well.  These guys have the most trichomes already, and I know that I need to seriously think about odour maintenance with these ones.  

Strain name:  Pineapple Express
Genetics:  Big Bud X Skunk
Flowering time:  8 weeks
Yield:  Heavy
Level of difficulty:  Medium
Notes: After the Russian Doll, the Pineapple Express is looking pretty uniform overall.  I am seeing pretty strong progress here as well--or at least consistency among all three plants.  I have some hope for this Pineapple Express!
 
Genetics:  Kuban Sativa x Northern Lights x AK-47
Flowering time:  8-9 weeks
Yield:  Medium
Level of difficulty:  Easy
Notes:  Less growth this week just like the others, but I would have usually flowered this one like 4 weeks ago.  As you can see some stems are outside of the net, I am working on getting them in so that everything is supported.  Ultimately we would have everything that is below the net bare (no leaves no stems).  If a flowering site or two don't make it right into the net it isn't a problem as long as they are still the height of the net.  I would still ideally get everything in there.  Next round there will be fewer plants overall so everything will find its way to the net.
Older Post Newer Post